Last month, the Coosa-Alabama River Improvement Association hosted its annual meeting virtually. Speakers for the meeting included Rick Dearborn, Adams and Reese LLP, former White House Deputy Chief of Staff for Legislative, Intergovernmental Affairs and Implementation in the administration of U.S. President Donald Trump. Rick gave an overview of what to expect from the administration, focusing on OMB and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
The participants also had the opportunity to receive an update from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, U. S. Coast Guard, ADECA Director Kenneth Boswell, new Director/CEO Alabama State Port Authority, John Driscoll and an environmental and water wars update from attorneys Steven Burns, Balch & Bingham LLP, and Michael Berson, Adams and Reese LLP.
The event ended with a group panel on recreational resources & infrastructure which included Camden’s own, “Big Daddy” James Lawler, known for his talk show “Gettin’ Outdoors;” Kay Donaldson, Founder, Alabama Bass Trails; Wynne Fuller, USACE, Chief, Operations Division and attorney Michael Berson, Adams and Reese LLP.
A new Board of Directors and Executive Committee were elected. Congratulations to the new Board and Executive Committee:
2020-2021 Board of Directors
- Allen Henry, Chairman, Parker Towing Company, Inc.
- Horace Horn, Vice Chairman, PowerSouth Energy Cooperative
- Charles Stover, Secretary/Treasurer, Tri-Rivers Waterway Development Association
- Connie Bainbridge, Executive Member, Central Alabama Electric Coop.
- Ike Lyon, Executive Member, Alabama Scenic River Trail
- Shane F. Kearney, Executive Member, Alabama Power Company, Economic Development Manager
- John Clyde Riggs, Executive Member, Alabama-Tombigbee Regional Commission
- Wayne Vardaman, Executive Member, Selma-Dallas County Economic Development Authority
- Judy Adams, Board Member, Alabama State Port Authority
- Steven Burns, Board Member, Balch and Bingham LLP
- Mike Hackett, Board Member, Water & Sewer Division Director, City of Rome, GA
- Slade Hooks, Jr., Board Member, Waterways Towing and Offshore Service
- A.L. Johnson, Jr., Board Member. Community Neighbor Bank
- John Stokes, Board Member, Cooper Marine
- Ralph Clemens, Board Member, Individual Member
- Jerry Sailors, Board Member, Individual Member
Alabama Pulp & Paper Council
Alabama State Port Authority
Alabama-Tombigbee Regional Commission
Community Neighbor Bank
PowerSouth Energy Cooperative
Selma & Dallas County Economic Development Authority