Facts about Lay Dam

Lay Dam was named after Alabama Power Company's first president, Capt. William Patrick Lay. Originally known as the Lock 12 Dam, the facility was later renamed in recognition of Captain Lay's servie to the company and to the public.

Located on the Coosa River, the dam straddles the Chilton and Coosa County line.

Lay Dam was redeveloped during the 1960s as part of the Coosa River project. The project also included the construction of H. Neely Henry, Weiss, Logan Martin and Bouldin dams.

 

Map of Lay Lake here

Authorized:

  • 60th Congress - 1907

Purpose:

  • Power generation, supply, recreation (run of the river)

Cost:

  • $36 million

Construction started:

  • Original: 1910
  • Redevelopment: August 31, 1967

In-service date:

  • Original: 1914
  • Redevelopment: February 24, 1967

Generators:

  • Six rating 29,500 kilowatts each.
  • Total generating capacity: 177,000 kilowatts

Dam:

  • Type: Gravity concrete
  • Length: 2,260 feet
  • Maximum height: 129.6 feet

Reservoir:

  • Elevation above sea level: 396 feet
  • Area: 12,000 acres
  • Shoreline: 289 miles
  • Length: 48.2 miles
  • Maximum depth at dam: 88 feet
  • Area of watershed draining into reservoir: 9,087 square miles

Information courtesy of Alabama Power. Click here for more information.